ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
BENZOYL CHLORIDE (C6H5COCl)
Clear to pale yellow liquid with a pungent odour that fumes on contact with moisture in the air. It is a combustible substance and should never be stored or handled close to heat or a naked flame. The vapours are heavier than air and may travel a considerable distance along the ground to a source of ignition and flash back.
Heating produces toxic gases of phosgene and hydrochloric acid. Benzoyl chloride is incompatible with water, strong oxidising agents and alcohols.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
This substance is very toxic. It is a severe irritant and a corrosive and will cause localised burns. Prolonged inhalation can be fatal. Acute exposure to the skin and eyes causes redness, pain and localised burns. Blurred vision may result. Inhalation causes sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and laboured breathing. Ingestion causes sore throat and abdominal pain.
Use a fume hood.
Keep away from heat, sparks or naked flames.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation of the vapour.
Keep away from moisture.
Keep the container tightly sealed.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Use a fume hood to avoid any contact with this liquid or its vapours. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a full face shield.
Skin remove contaminated clothing and immediately wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). Seek immediate medical attention. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). Seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Sit in half upright position and seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion rinse the mouth thoroughly with water and give plenty of water to drink. Seek immediate medical attention.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat, moisture and incompatible substances. Keep the container tightly sealed.
SPILLS: Cover with sodium carbonate. If a small quantity is involved, scoop the mixture into a large beaker of water and let it stand for a few minutes. Slowly discharge to sewer with a large excess of water. If a large quantity is involved, scoop the resulting bicarbonate mixture into a plastic bag, cardboard or small fibre drum. This material can then be burned in an incinerator or spread on the ground and flooded with water. The site of the spill should be washed with soapy water.
PACKAGE LOTS: Slowly sift or pour into a large glass or plastic vessel containing a layer of sodium carbonate. Mix thoroughly and add slowly to a large container of water, with stirring. Slowly discharge to sewer with a large excess of water.