ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
HYDRAZINE SULPHATE (NH2NH2.H2SO4)
Hydrazine monosulphate, hydrazinium sulphate.
Use a fume hood.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation of the vapour.
Keep away from heat.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Potential carcinogen. A toxic substance, a corrosive and a skin, eye and mucous membrane irritant. It is a neurotoxic and can cause convulsions. It is absorbed through the skin. Sulphuric acid is liberated in the presence of moisture.
Skin immediately remove contaminated clothing and wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Keep warm and allow to rest. If coughing or breathing difficulties persist seek medical attention.
Ingestion wash the mouth with water then give water or milk to drink. Do not induce vomiting but seek immediate medical advice.
Heating produces toxic vapours of sulphur.
Store in a refrigerator or a cool, dry place away from heat.
Use a fume hood that will keep the level of exposure below the recommended threshold limit, ie. 0.1 ppm NIOSH. At levels of exposure above this level a respirator is recommended. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Rubber gloves and self contained breathing apparatus. impervious clothing is recommended. A body shield should be available.
On skin or clothing: immediately wash the affected area and remove contaminated clothing.
Small spills: eliminate all sources of ignition and flammables. Absorb the liquid with vermiculite or paper towel. Scoop the mixture, paper or solids into a plastic bag and take to a pit or incinerator for burning.
Large spills: collect the liquid with an aspirator such as is used for recovering mercury. Empty into a large beaker and neutralise with dilute sulphuric acid. Discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water. Wash the spill site with soap and water.
PACKAGE LOTS: Either
1 Dilute to at least 40% and neutralise with dilute sulphuric acid. Discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water.
2 Dissolve in a large volume of waste alcohol or other flammable solvent and burn in an open pit. Ignite from a distance with a torch or fuse.