ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
LEAD NITRATE (Pb(NO3)2)
Keep away from heat or fire.
Keep away from reducing agents.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
White crystals or crystalline powder.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
A highly toxic solid. Toxicity is usually by ingestion. There is not a problem with inhalation. Toxicity is associated with severe abdominal pain, metallic taste, nausea and dizziness. Lead is a cumulative poison and indications of the cumulative effect are loss of weight, pyorrhoea and `lead line' on the gums.
Skin immediately wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes).
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes).
Ingestion rinse the mouth with water and give water, milk or milk of Magnesia to drink. Seek immediate medical advice. Milk of Magnesia is available from any pharmaceutical outlet and should be part of your laboratory first aid kit if lead nitrate is handled in your laboratory.
Heating produces toxic fumes of nitrogen. There is the possibility of a vigorous reaction with reducing agents with the conversion to ammonia.
Do not store with organic matter or reducing agents. Store in a cool, dry atmosphere in glass, plastic or plastic lined containers.
Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown and rubber gloves as a minimum standard.
Rubber gloves, safety glasses, laboratory coat and a respirator (or work in a fume hood).
PACKAGE LOTS AND RECOVERED SPILLS:
Convert to nitrates with a minimum of concentrated nitric acid. Evaporate in a fume hood to a thin paste. Add water and saturate with hydrogen sulphide. Filter, wash and dry the precipitate.