ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
PERIODIC ACID (HI04.2H2O)
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation the vapour or mist.
Keep away from heat.
Keep away from combustible substances.
Keep away from reducing agents.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Colourless to pale yellow liquid or a white to off white powder.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
It is a severe respiratory tract irritant and is a corrosive substance causing severe burns to eyes and skin. There is insufficient data available relating to ingestion but it is assumed that periodic acid will cause severe internal irritation and damage.
Skin remove contaminated clothing and immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). Apply magnesia/glycerol paste to the affected area and if pain persists or blistering occurs seek immediate medical attention. Magnesia/glycerol paste should be in your laboratory first aid kit if periodic acid is handled in your laboratory. It is available off the shelf in pharmacies. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation, pain or blurred vision persist seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. Keep warm and allow to rest. If irritation persists seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion wash the mouth thoroughly with water and give water to drink followed by Milk of Magnesia. Seek immediate medical advice. Milk of Magnesia should be in your laboratory first aid kit if periodic acid is handled in your laboratory. It is available off the shelf in pharmacies.
Heating produces toxic fumes of iodine compounds.
Periodic acid is incompatible with dimethyl sulphoxide.
Contact with combustible materials may cause fire.
Readily reduced to iodic acid by reducing agents.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat and incompatible substances.
Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact or inhalation. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Rubber gloves, laboratory coat and self contained breathing apparatus. have a body shield available.
Cover the contaminated surface with sodium bicarbonate or soda ash-slaked lime mixture (50/50). Mix, and add water if necessary to form a slurry. scoop up the slurry and discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water.. wash the spill site with a soda ash solution.
Add slowly to a large volume of an agitated solution of soda ash and slaked lime until the solution is neutral. Discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water.