ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
PHOSPHOTUNGSTIC ACID (H3PO4.12WO3.xH2O)
Avoid eye contact.
Avoid inhalation of the dust.
Keep away from heat.
Keep away from reducing substances.
Keep away from metals.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
White or yellowish crystals or crystalline powder.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
This substance is an eye irritant and is mildly corrosive. Inhalation of the dust is harmful. There is no data available on ingestion although it is assumed to be toxic. There is no data available on skin contact although as the substance is mildly corrosive it is assumed that irritation will occur.
Skin immediately wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If signs of irritation develop seek medical attention.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 20 minutes). If irritation persists seek medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air.
In severe cases or if irritation persists seek medical
attention. Ingestion wash the mouth thoroughly with water
followed by Milk of Magnesia to drink. Milk of Magnesia is
available off the shelf in pharmacies. Seek medical advice.
Avoid contact with metals to prevent reduction.
Heating produces highly toxic fumes of phosphorus compounds. Reducing substances produce instability in this compound.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat and incompatible substances.
Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact and inhalation of the dust. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Rubber gloves, laboratory coat and self contained breathing apparatus. have a body shield available.
Cover the contaminated surface with sodium bicarbonate or soda ash-slaked lime mixture (50/50). Mix, and add water if necessary to form a slurry. scoop up the slurry and discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water.. wash the spill site with a soda ash solution.
Add slowly to a large volume of an agitated solution of soda ash and slaked lime until the solution i
s neutral. Discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water. ENVIRONMENT: