ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
Use a fume hood.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion of the powder.
Keep away from heat or naked flames.
Keep away from all substances.
Store under paraffin oil or kerosene and keep the container tightly sealed.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Corrosive fumes of potassium hydroxide. Light, silvery white, soft metal which reacts violently with water with combustion and formation of combustible gas (hydrogen) and corrosive fumes of potassium hydroxide.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Corrosive to eyes, skin and respiratory tract. Inhalation of vapours and/or fumes may cause shortness of breath and laboured breathing. Skin contact causes redness, pain and skin burns. Eye contact causes redness, pain and blurred vision. Ingestion causes sore throat, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Skin immediately remove contaminated clothing and wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If hypersensitivity develops seek medical attention. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. Keep warm and allow to rest. If irritation persists or signs of toxicity develop seek medical attention.
Ingestion wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give water to drink. Do not induce vomiting. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Seek immediate medical advice.
Keep separate from all substances, especially water. STORAGE
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat or ignition
Use a fume hood to minimise exposure to this substance. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Leather gloves, large face shield and laboratory coat.
Small: cover with excess soda ash or sodium bicarbonate. Mix and add slowly to butyl alcohol. After 24 hours dilute and discharge to sewer with a large excess of water.
Large: mix with dry soda ash or sodium bicarbonate. Scoop into a dry bucket. in a remote area spread onto a large iron pan. Cover with scrap wood, paper and ignite with a torch or fuse.
burn in an open pit incinerator.
direct dry steam on to the waste spread on a iron pan. Beware of splatter.
Beware of possible violent reaction with water.