ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
THIOGLYCOLLIC ACID (HSCH2COOH)
Mercaptoacetic acid, 2thiolethanoic acid.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion.
Keep away from heat.
Keep the container tightly sealed, the vapour is toxic.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Liquid with a strong, unpleasant odour.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Thioglycollic acid is very toxic and the fumes are toxic. It is a corrosive substance and will cause burns to skin and eyes. It is an irritant to the respiratory tract and can cause damage to the central nervous system. Inhalation or ingestion can cause dizziness, headache and paralysis of the respiratory system with resultant death.
Skin immediately remove contaminated clothing and wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If burns develop or pain persists seek medical advice. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Keep warm and allow to rest. Seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give water to drink. Do not induce vomiting but give at least 1 (one) ounce of Milk of Magnesia in an equal amount of water, or the whites of 3 (three) eggs. Seek immediate medical attention.
Heating produces the toxic fumes of hydrogen sulphide.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat.
Use a fume hood to minimise exposure to this substance. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Rubber gloves, self contained breathing apparatus and laboratory coat.
Eliminate all sources of ignition. Cover with calcium hypochlorite and mix. Scoop into a large beaker. After 12 hours, neutralise using litmus as an indicator. Discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water. Wash the site of the spill with a strong soap solution to which has been added some hypochlorite.
PACKAGE LOTS: Either
1 As for spills
2 Dissolve in waste alcohol or other flammable solvent. Burn in an incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber to neutralise the sulphur dioxide.