ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences



TRIS (Hydroxymethyl methylamine) [NH2C(CH2OH)3]

2­amino­2(hydroxymethyl)­propane­1,3 diol, Tris (hydroxymethyl) aminomethane, Tris buffer.
Use a fume hood.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Keep away from heat.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
White odourless crystalline powder, amino alcohol family.
Is a skin, eye and mucous membrane irritant. Acute exposure to the skin may cause redness, swelling and pain. Acute exposure to the eyes may cause redness, localised pain and irritation. Excessive inhalation may cause irritation, cough and shortness of breath. If ingested may be toxic, may lead to nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Large amounts may cause weakness, collapse and coma.
Skin ­ immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If hypersensitivity develops seek medical attention.
Eyes ­ wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. Keep warm and allow to rest. If irritation persists or signs of toxicity develop seek medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give water to drink. Call the Poison Control Centre or physician immediately. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Seek immediate medical advice.
Incompatible with oxidising material. Heating yields toxic fumes, oxides of carbon and nitrogen.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat.
Use a fume hood to minimise exposure to this substance. Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact, inhalation or ingestion. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Butyl rubber gloves, face shield or all purpose canister respirator and laboratory coat.
Liquid or solid - cover with sodium bisulphite. Spray with water and discharge to sewer with a large excess of water.
1 Add the contaminated amine to a layer of sodium bisulphite in a large evaporating dish. Spray with water. Neutralise and discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water.
2 Dissolve in a flammable solvent then burn in open pit or in an incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List