ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
White to cream crystals or powder, no odour.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
This substance is a respiratory tract and eye irritant and may cause allergic skin reactions. It is generally regarded as being of very low toxicity. Contact of the dry powder with surface lesions may cause a burning sensation. Trypsin should not be handled by persons who suffer from asthma.
Skin immediately wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If an allergic reaction develops seek medical immediate attention.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation persists immediate medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If discomfort persists seek medical attention.
Ingestion wash out the mouth with water and give plenty of water to drink. If discomfort persists seek medical advice.
Trypsin contains about 85% lactose as a diluent. Lactose can react violently with oxidising agents.
Store at 4°C in airtight containers.
Trypsin should not be handled by persons who suffer from asthma. Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact or inhalation. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Heavy leather gloves and safety glasses.
Materials should be properly packed for safe handling and placed in a prescribed site for daily collection. Burning can be done in an open or closed incinerator equipped with an afterburner.