ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion.
Keep away from heat.
Keep away from moisture.
Keep the container tightly closed.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Slightly hygroscopic, white crystals or crystalline powder.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Urea is a skin, eye and respiratory tract irritant. It can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, ingestion or through the skin. Eye contact causes redness and pain. Skin contact causes redness and localised irritation. Inhalation causes sore throat, coughing and shortness of breath. Ingestion causes sore throat and abdominal pain.
Skin immediately remove contaminated clothing and wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Eyes immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention.
Inhalation remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Keep warm and allow to rest. If irritation persists or develops seek medical attention.
Ingestion wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give water to drink. If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention.
Decomposes upon heating into toxic fumes of ammonia and nitrogen dioxide.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat and moisture.
Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Heavy gloves and safety glasses.
The waste may be used as fill in reclaiming low areas or may be dumped in a landfill.