ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences
COLD ROOMS AND
All cold rooms and laboratories should
- Ground level exhaust (removal of
- Push alarms in case of accident.
- Waterproof power outlets.
- Waterproof lighting.
- Outward opening doors with large
- Continuous flooring.
- External sign indicating worker
- Telephone or intercom contact with
- Any external locks must not interfere
- Non-rusting material should be used
for internal structural components.
- Safety alarms for temperature drops
All staff using these rooms should ensure
that they wear adequate clothing to protect themselves from the cold
environment. Laboratory coats should be worn over these clothes.
Ensure that someone knows when there are
workers in these rooms.
Di Berardinis, L. et al. (1987)
Guidelines for Laboratory Design: Health and
J. Wiley and Sons Inc.
BACK to the top
of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical