Author Topic: Antibodies for western blotting experiments?  (Read 8599 times)

Offline ghostdog

• SilverMember
Antibodies for western blotting experiments?
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:19:49 AM »
I have always wondered if a supplier states that an antibody is suitable for western blotting but does not state that it is suitable for another method i.e. immunhistochemistry does this mean it wont work ? if so why not? surely its the same epitope  ?

The reason i ask this is because i am trying to find an antibody and it states in nearly every supplier that it is suitable for western blotting but that it has not been tested on IHC.

any help or answers would be great

many thanks

« on: April 05, 2006, 09:19:49 AM »

Offline ImmunoNYC

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:46:04 AM »
Antibodies that work in western very often do not work in IHC or flow as westerns often require that the proteins be denatured (although not necessarily always true). Since in IHC and especially flow we are looking at native (folded) proteins this can often cause problems. An antibody might be generated by a supplier because it specifically recognizes an antigen that is exposed when a protein is denatured. This antigen may be difficult to detect when the protein is folded in it's native state much less then fixed in a cross-linking fixative. (and vice versa for IHC specific Abs).

I find that when companies say it works in western without mentioning that it does not work in IHC, it usually means they have not tried it. IF you are desperate you can try it but it may or may not work.

Offline ghostdog

• SilverMember
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:19:06 AM »
that is brilliant thanks so much.

FDossani

Re: Antibodies for western blotting experiments?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:32:22 AM »
very well replied..i really appreciate that this matter is summed up in a good manner.

Offline AnneHowell

• HighTech
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »
Yes , before you purchase you need to ask it clear about its applications. Most suppliers do note this at the productdescription on their website. You click the product name to enter the detailed description page and will see such information. By the way, if you want antibodies for western blotting, you can go there : http://www.creative-diagnostics.com/Antibodies.htm
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:42:53 AM by AnneHowell »

Offline MMaggie

• MyBiosource
  • HighTech
    • MyBiosource
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »
True, It may or may not work in different experiments.  :) It is always important to ask the distributor or supplier specific questions related to the work. Mostly, Kits and Antibodies are supplied in specific and sometimes custom made for specific use.
"Our primary mission at MyBiosource, Inc. is to provide #1 quality reagents worldwide."

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »