Author Topic: help with lead staining  (Read 5346 times)

Offline pweston

• SuperTech
help with lead staining
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »
I have several basic staining questions.  What type of dish do people use for staining with lead?  Do you filter your rinse water, and what type of container do you put the rinse water in?  How many rinses; 3, 4...?   Do you use dilute NaOH for the first rinse after Pb staining?  Does anyone have luck with the staining sticks, or is the old fashioned way better?  Do you wick off water with triangles of filter paper?  If so, any hints on ow to do this?  Sometimes my sections are a little dirty. or they seem to lift off the grid. Any advice would be appreciated.  I can't seem to find info on the actual technique of staining.

Thanks,

Paula

help with lead staining
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
    • http://www.excaliburpathology.com
help with lead staining
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:47:47 AM »
Hello Paula,

dry your grids as you would microscopic slides before staining and you should not have section loss. Place them section side up on filter paper and dry in an oven for a while.

To stain, I use tissue culture plates with about 18 wells per plate. You can place all your staining solutions in separate wells and go down the line. An artist's porcelain or milkglass paint mixing plate with several depressions also works well :)
Paula K. Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
8901 S Santa Fe, Suite G
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
405-759-3959
www.excaliburpathology.com

help with lead staining
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:47:47 AM »