Abcam Ad

Author Topic: Stereology system  (Read 12313 times)

Offline vega07

• HighTech
Stereology system
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
Hi,

A little poll. I am pretty sure I would get more answer if I posted this in the immunohistochemistry part but......

Which stereology system do you use ? Stereologer, Stereo Investigator or another one ?

For those who have an experience in several of these systems, wich one did you prefer ? Why ?

Vincent

Stereology system
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

Offline hokie

• SuperTech
    • Stereothena Inc
Re: Stereology system
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:36:01 PM »
I have seen and used a number of these systems. I prefer the newCAST system by Visiopharm.
Do more, less well. ~Ewald Weibel

Offline richard03

• Administrator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »
I have used both Stereologer and Stereo Investigator. I found Stereo Investigator is more user friendly and more features

Offline randy dumouchel

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 10:38:54 PM »
A little advice to Vincent and anyone else considering a stereology system: do not believe ANYTHING you read about computerized stereology systems in forum like this. The simple reason -- you might generate responses from companies with commercial interests, such as "Indra" MicroBrightfield (MBF), the company that sells the StereoInvestigator; and "hokie" who sells the CAST system from VisioPharm.

In my own experience, the company reps from MBF are aggressive to the point of being obnoxious. They talk a good talk and we spent a large amount of money on their StereoInvestigator, which we had nothing but problems with -- mechanically unreliable, user “klunky,” non-intuitive interface, and a confusing mixture of biased and unbiased probes. In contrast to what their company reps told us, the MBF system crashed often, and had many, many problems. Their service department would not talk to us until we paid more money. Eventually they convinced us to take an expensive stereology course that they sponsored, which was not very useful. In the end we were more confused than before and still could not figure out how to use their system.

Eventually we got fed up. We took the advice of experienced stereology users in other labs and tested the Stereologer system.  This system comes in both PC and Mac versions and could be used with our existing cameras, stage motor and microscope. Although our lab uses a mix of Mac and PC computers, we chose their PC version, which worked perfectly well with fluorescence stains, as well as all other stains in our lab. On the two occasions we sent in questions, and the people from Stereologer who called were scientists; they not only listened and understood our problem, they worked with us to design studies that were accurate and efficient.  The two most important features about the Stereologer are very user friendly for people with limited training, which is most of our lab; and, the Stereologer system only uses unbiased stereology approaches. This is in contrast to the MBF system, which is a mix of biased and unbiased systems, since they will add anything to their system that customers will pay for. We checked and found out that the Stereologer system was developed twith NIH grants, which we know requires highly critical peer review.

In short, the Stereologer system is eating the lunch of the MBF system. Maybe that is why the MBF people have taken to such desperate measures – masquerading as users on this type of forum in an attempt to lure customers away from the competition and toward the MBF systems? One last point -- reliable sources tell us that MBF is trying to sell out to Nikon and won’t be around much longer; in short, don’t waste your time or money with MBF.

Offline hokie

• SuperTech
    • Stereothena Inc
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:59:06 PM »
Please do not list me as a seller of CAST at this point in time. I am not associated with Visiopharm or CAST at this time.

Thanks, hokie
Do more, less well. ~Ewald Weibel

Offline indra-dr

• Trainee
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 03:17:13 PM »
Please do not list me as being commercially affiliated with MBF.  As I have made clear, I am a happy customer of theirs.

I would agree though, if you are looking at stereology systems take the words of "advice" here with a grain of salt.  Go and look at the systems yourself.  Get recommendations from colleagues who have used a system.

Frankly, what Randy Dumouchel stated makes me suspicious that it he who is "masquerading as a user" on this forum. His statements simply go against my observations and experiences. From my observations it is clear that the Stereologer system is outdated and is certainly "clunky".  It is almost like he is speaking from some alternative reality.

Offline randy dumouchel

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »
To all users of computerized stereology systems, keep up the good work, but steer clear of the StereoInvestigator by MBF. It will cost you a fortune and waste a lot of your time.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »