Author Topic: Santa Cruz antibody reputation?  (Read 18757 times)

Offline bjchoi

• SuperTech
Santa Cruz antibody reputation?
« on: June 05, 2007, 04:23:57 PM »
Hi all,

The previous lab I worked in chose not to use antibodies from Santa Cruz for a reason that I cannot remember.  I believe their explanation was that SC did not have a good reputation for having good antibodies.  Therefore, any publications made with SC antibodies would not be taken as seriously.

Do people know this to be true or false?  I'm looking for a particular antibody, and SC has one that appears to work well in the references they listed.  The only thing holding me back from purchasing it is the fact that my old lab stayed away from Santa Cruz like the plague.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated!  Thanks.

Santa Cruz antibody reputation?
« on: June 05, 2007, 04:23:57 PM »

Offline richard03

• Administrator
  • GoldMember
Re: Santa Cruz antibody reputation?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:19:54 PM »
I have also heard some saying that SC antibodies are not good. The reason being so many people are still likely to use their antibodies is because many of their antibodies are published on paper.

I personally have been using some SC antibodies. There are indeed some antibodies that produce false positive staining, but they do have good ones too. If you do IHC, try DAKO, Chemicon, Novocastra, Lab Vision, which are good IHC companies.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:41:05 PM by richard03 »

Offline ghostdog

• SilverMember
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
The main reason i had for stopping using them was that they could never give me any technical support, i would contact them with problems and they would basically go meh!

Offline ASluo

• GoldMember
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:36:43 AM »
I have just ordered 2 antibodies from Santa Cruz because I couldn't find what I want anywhere else...
I thought they were pretty helpful with technical support but I've heard they have poor quality control. Oh wells, I don't have a choice!

Offline richard03

• Administrator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
That's another reason that people have to buy from them since there is too little choice. But don't be discouraged as they do have good antibodies too.

I have just ordered 2 antibodies from Santa Cruz because I couldn't find what I want anywhere else...
I thought they were pretty helpful with technical support but I've heard they have poor quality control. Oh wells, I don't have a choice!

Offline bjchoi

• SuperTech
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
So I finally heard back from my old lab manager.  She said she refused to use SC antibodies because they chose not to publish their sequences.  I don't know if other companies do that or not, but that's the reasoning she gave me.

I agree - some antibodies just aren't available elsewhere, so what are you going to do?  As long as you do the necessary controls, and the antibody works, that's fine by me...

Thanks for all the responses.

Offline Dunia

• SuperTech
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:11:14 AM »
And just one more thought on SC Abs.
We don't like them for usually being diluted to o.2 mg/ml (even the secondaries). I think this is one of the reasons they perform no good. I'd prefer to have less volume, but more protein for better shipment and storage.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:11:14 AM »