Abcam Ad

Author Topic: Zinc formalin fixation  (Read 3454 times)

Offline cfarish

Zinc formalin fixation
« on: September 03, 2007, 03:43:26 AM »
Hi all and greetings from downunder,
i have  a few questions about zinc formalin fixation which i'd much appreciate answers to.
I'm considering using buffered zinc formalin for routine processing to improve any IPX staining that may be required further down the line. We're setting up a diagnostic vet lab so the staining requirements will be unpredictable therefore i was thinking that if possible i should treat everything as potentially requiring IPX stains. As a rule specimens fixed in neutral buffered will be referred to us so essentially this will be a post fixation step on the autoprocessor.
I'm aware that unless the pH is kept low the zinc can precipitate out and that zinc chloride is not recommended for processors so i plan to find a commercial source to ensure consistency.
I've seen reference in texts to zinc formalin improving antigen retieval and IPX stain quality but then this is not expanded upon leaving me a little confused. 
So, questions:
Does zinc formalin improve IPX quality and can it still be used post-fixation?
If i can find a commercial source of Zinc formalin should i use it for routine processing or does it have a detrimental effect on tissue?
If not, are there any alternatives you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you're willing to share.

cfarish
Wagga Wagga
Australia

Zinc formalin fixation
« on: September 03, 2007, 03:43:26 AM »

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
    • http://www.excaliburpathology.com
Re: Zinc formalin fixation
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:50:23 AM »
Zinc formalin is an excellant fixative. It is what has replaced B-5 for bone marrow bxs in many labs to eliminate mercury.

It does enhance some IHC staining, but should be tested, because as always, some antibodies do not like it.

Anatech Limited  is one manufacturer of zinc-formalin concentrate I know of. They even have an alcoholic zinc-formalin. Z-Fix is their product name.
Paula Keene Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
5830 N Blue Lake Dr.
Norman, OK 73069
405-759-3959
www.excaliburpathology.com

Offline cfarish

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »
Thanks Excalibur,
                       i think i'll give it a try and see what happens. I've found a couple of chemical companies over here who think they can supply me with consistent quality so it should be ok. I'll keep you posted (although the equipment doesn't arrive until the end of October so it may be a while before i have anything worhtwhile reporting)
Cheers

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »