Author Topic: re-use of well-plates after staining  (Read 6108 times)

Offline ratlab

re-use of well-plates after staining
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »
Hello,

I am not sure whether this is the best category to post my question, but I try.

I am quite new to IHC and I have used only the free floating sections technique using wells-plates to perform the immunostaining.

Precisely I use 6-wells culture cell plates with the according well-inserts with membrane.
And I used to re-use these wells-plates (and the inserts) after staining! I let them overnight in a bath of cleaning solution (the same as for the cleaning of lab dishes), then I rinse them with tap water & finally let them in a bath of deionized water overnight.

However, I recently read a protocol which warns not to re-use the wells-plates for staining. Only the plates for the PBS washes could be re-used but after a more complicated cleaning procedure than mine.

What do you do/advise? If you do re-use the wells-plates, how do you clean them?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

re-use of well-plates after staining
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »

Offline CanuckPhD

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
Re: re-use of well-plates after staining
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:41:20 AM »
I personally reuse my inserts and 6 well plates including the DAB plates. I just wash and rinse as normal for labware including a distilled water soak at the end. I have used plates at least a dozen times for DAB staining and not had any problems. I think this saves cash and reduces lab waste.

Re: re-use of well-plates after staining
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:41:20 AM »