Author Topic: advice needed for buying used tissue processor  (Read 9078 times)

Offline DocBob

• SuperTech
advice needed for buying used tissue processor
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »
I want to buy a tissue processor but have only ~$8000 to spend. I've looked around and found several companies that make tissue processors (Sakura Tissue-Tek, Leica, Thermo Shandon) and several companies that sell them used (labX, GMI, IMEB, MEDWOW). How do I decide between them? Are there any tissue processors I should avoid, or are there any that are superior? Is the carousel type worse than the normal type? Is there anything else important that I need to know?

Thanks,
Rob

advice needed for buying used tissue processor
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
    • http://www.excaliburpathology.com
Re: advice needed for buying used tissue processor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »
I suggest a Sakura VIP. They are workhorses and the amount you have to spend will get a good one.

Carousel types need additional ventilation and cleaning containers for the cassette baskets.
Paula K. Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
8901 S Santa Fe, Suite G
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
405-759-3959
www.excaliburpathology.com

Offline gula

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »
If carousel or not depends on your aims and what reagenses you want to use. On carouseltypes you can use any reagens you like to. The tissue-baskets dump into the liquid for the programmed duration.
With the chamber-type there are some restrictions on reagenses, that are not likely to explode ;-). They have the advantage of a closed system, and that you can infiltrate with vaccuum and pressure. Also the chamber can be heated while fixation and dehydration, what may decrease your processing times.
I cannot say much about the various chamber types, but in my lab the VIP has been used for years without problems. The new models have some features like counting the runs, warning for reagens change, etc. Some instruments also measure the ethanol-content (how many percents) and change the reagens automatically. Some advertise with the possibility of using xylen-substitutes.
In routine histotechnique it's also important, that the following equipment is adequate. I think of baskets, that fit into the embedding center.
hope this helped a little bit
Gula

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »
Explosiveness of reagents is not the reason for limits on chamber systems like the VIP. EtOH and xylene are "explosive" and can be used on VIPs.

Solvents such as chloroform are not to be used on chamber systems because the density is too heavy for the vacuum pump AND chloroform will dissolve the plastic tubing.

I still suggest a VIP 1000, 2000, or 3000. Numbers denote increasing amount of cassette capacity.

Simple is better IMHO. The more bells and whistles, the more that can go wrong.
8901 S Santa Fe, Suite G
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
405-759-3959

Offline DocBob

• SuperTech
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
Thanks everybody. If I get a VIP 1000, and it breaks down, are there spare parts still available?

Rob

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »
Sakura made many of these and the used equipment company you purchase from should have access to parts for any repairs.
8901 S Santa Fe, Suite G
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
405-759-3959

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »