Abcam Ad

Author Topic: Cryocutting...  (Read 5237 times)

Offline wallywoo

• SuperTech
Cryocutting...
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
I have the worst time with my cryostat thick/thinning sections.  We have tried defrosting, temperature up & down, tightening everything down, switching blades...
I'm working with tonsils and if the temp is too high they will smear bad. Any suggestions??

Cryocutting...
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
    • http://www.excaliburpathology.com
Re: Cryocutting...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
Thick/thinning will be from something not tight. Is the tissue and OCT secure on the chuck? Is the chuck tight. Are the 3 positioning knobs tight? Is the blade tight?

Are you rough cutting too fast and loosening the OCT from the chuck?
Paula Keene Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
5830 N Blue Lake Dr.
Norman, OK 73069
405-759-3959
www.excaliburpathology.com

Offline Cardio

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
You might have striped a bolt or the knife holder is loose. On most cyrostats the knife holder is held by a friction bolt. If you haven't taken the device out to check for ice or debri this could cause the problem.

I notice that thick and thin sections also occur when I use very little OCT to mount the sample to the chuck.

Lastly you might need the cryostat serviced. The micron setting could be off.

Offline wallywoo

• SuperTech
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:31:53 PM »
Everything is tight, no stripped screws or anything.  It will take huge gouges out of the tissue.  We just had everything serviced.  We are going to try defrosting again.

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
    • http://www.excaliburpathology.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »
If you just had it serviced, did the technician that serviced it try it out and get good consistent
sections?

Gouges mean something is loose or like CanuckPhD said a screw could be stripped and clean the blade holder.

Defrosting will not correct your problem.
Paula Keene Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
5830 N Blue Lake Dr.
Norman, OK 73069
405-759-3959
www.excaliburpathology.com

Offline wallywoo

• SuperTech
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
We sent the microtome to them to make sure it was advancing correctly when it was serviced.  No screws are loose or stripped.  I have cleaned the blade holder and have several others that I've tried. This machine is less than a year old and isn't used much. 

Offline Cardio

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »
I agree with excalibur that defrosting won't fix the problem.

Do the gouges have a inconsistent look to them like horizontal lines on the sample. I am not talking about the section but the sample on the chuck. This normally means that the knife holder is loose. On the left hand side of the knife holder loosen the friction bolt and take the whole thing out. Look for ice/OCT on the holder and the ridges with in the machine. ITs easy for debris and ice to get lodged in there.

Did you start having problems after the service? In anycase I would call the service guys back and have them look at the machine again.

Offline wallywoo

• SuperTech
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »
I think that ya'll are right about the stuff stuck in the screws or knife holder because defrosting and cleaning the machine totally fixed all my problems.  There had to be debris that I couldn't see, but was affecting the cutting.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »