Author Topic: Very very basic cell culture question  (Read 5268 times)

Offline laura4711

Very very basic cell culture question
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
I have nobody to train me and so I'm trying to learn things on my own..... For a cell culture waste flask I know about the bleach and the filter flask connected to a vacuum one side and plugged at the top. How do you connect the tube that's bringing the cells, media, waste, etc. to the plug in the top of the flask? Is there some sort of an adaptor? I've been trying to search for something but it's hard when you don't know what anything's called. I feel really silly asking this but we all have to start somewhere.

Very very basic cell culture question
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline funk.106

• SilverMember
Re: Very very basic cell culture question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »
Generally you would use something like this:
You can find them pretty much anywhere, but on the vwr and fisher websites they are called "rubber stopper, one hole" We then use a plastic adapter to connect the tube, but I think people also just break a small serological pipette and stick it in the hole to act as an adapter.

Offline laura4711

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »
Yes I know the plug, I was more interested in the adapter. Would you happen to have a website/item #/more information on the adaptor? Thanks so much!

Offline funk.106

• SilverMember
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:32:05 AM »
I can't find the exact one that we use but we use something like the fisher 15-315-27. I found them by searching tube connector.

Offline MT Scientist

• GoldMember
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
Yes I know the plug, I was more interested in the adapter. Would you happen to have a website/item #/more information on the adaptor? Thanks so much!

Jam a pipette (plastic or glass) through the hole and attach the tubing to the pipette.  No formal adaptor needed.  Lube the pipette with water or glycerin and gently push through the hole.  Do not force it as damage (mostly to you) can occur.  Make sure to remove any cotton/plug.  A plastic pipette (5 or 10ml) with the narrowed/tip end removed works very well.  If it is a side-arm flask, make sure the pipette extends below the level of the side connection....

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »