Abcam Ad

Author Topic: Changing solution in whole demonstration brains  (Read 2585 times)

Offline disco volante

• HighTech
Changing solution in whole demonstration brains
« on: October 23, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »
Hey everyone

We have some brains (human, dolphin, cat, etc.) lying around the lab that we use for demonstrations and such.  They are of unknown age, but they've been here for a very long time.  Anyhow, they're in glass jars floating in some unknown solution.  Presumably they were fixed and transferred to something or other.  Because of their age, and the amount of jostling they see, the solutions are cloudy and littered with little bits of brain.  They are kept at room temperature.

I am wondering, were I to flush out the old nasty solution, what should I replace it with, given that I don't know what they're in now?  We do put them in the hands of eager high school students, so lower toxicity would be valuable. 

Changing solution in whole demonstration brains
« on: October 23, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
    • http://www.excaliburpathology.com
Re: Changing solution in whole demonstration brains
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
You can transfer them to 70% alcohol (this can be rubbing alcohol which is 70% isopropanol from the drug store) a couple of weeks before the students will be handling them, then during the rest of the year they should be stored in formalin which is 10% buffered formaldehyde.

A week before the student viewing change out the 70% again to remove most of the formalin so there will be less fumes.
Paula Keene Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
5830 N Blue Lake Dr.
Norman, OK 73069
405-759-3959
www.excaliburpathology.com

Re: Changing solution in whole demonstration brains
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »