Author Topic: how to sharpen the blade of a Microtome by hand?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline jumi08

• Trainee
how to sharpen the blade of a Microtome by hand?
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
I was cutting frozen sections of ferret cortex today on a Microtome at 25um. The sections, as far as I could see with my eye, were being sliced ok, but when I pushed back the blade to the starting position after each slice, the blade would scratch the surface of the tissue on the Microtome plate. No matter how I adjusted, rotated, or cleaned the blade, this issue would not go away. The scratches were more than 25um deep since my slice would cleave apart at the scratch. I want to try sharpening the blade.

What is the best way to sharpen the blade by hand?

Thank you!

how to sharpen the blade of a Microtome by hand?
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »

Offline MT Scientist

• GoldMember
Re: how to sharpen the blade of a Microtome by hand?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
Unless you are skilled or even have experience with sharpening microtome blades, this is a disaster waiting to happen.  They used to make motorized sharpeners for microtome blades which may still be available.  I would strongly suggest getting a blade holder that accommodates disposable blades!

Offline excalibur

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
    • http://www.excaliburpathology.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
Very few people today use the old large steel blades that need sharpening.

I too recommend getting a disposable blade holder and blades.

30 years ago, I stropped those beasts to get a better edge on a diamond encrusted leather strop. That is what the handle in the boxes were for.

If you don't go with the dispo blades, remember that if you drop the old blade, don't try to catch it. ;)
Paula K. Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT
Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
8901 S Santa Fe, Suite G
Oklahoma City, OK 73139
405-759-3959
www.excaliburpathology.com

Offline Cardio

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »
You can send them off to be sharpened or you can use a someones motorized sharpener. We bought one because I only do frozen sectioning. 3 to 4 times on course normally gets nicks out then do 2-3 times on fine for 1 hour each. It will be brand new and able to cut 3-5 micron sections.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »