Author Topic: Monoclonal antibody production with Abmart  (Read 8845 times)

Offline SSpeese

Monoclonal antibody production with Abmart
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone else has made antibodies with Abmart?  They have a deal for $999 for monoclonal production that looks too good to be true (http://www.ab-mart.com/Monoclonal/SealL6.aspx).  Would love to hear from anyone who has dealt with this company. 

Thanks,
 Sean Speese

Sean Speese
Research Assistant Professor
Jungers Center for Neurosciences Research
Department of Neurology – Mail Code L623
Oregon Health & Science University
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road
Portland, Oregon  97239
Lab Phone: (503) 494-8918
Cell Phone: (617) 276-6016
Fax:  (503) 494-9161
Email: speese@ohsu.edu

UPDATE 8-1-12:
    This post has generated a lot of interest and I have fielded a number of inquires from individuals regarding use of Abmart for antibody production.  I will try to summarize my interaction with the company so far.  I would like to point out that I am a novice with antibody production, so this will not be as thorough of a review as a more experienced person could generate.

Obtaining References:

The company did respond to my request for references by directing me to the following link (http://www.ab-mart.org/efiles.aspx?code=1516).  They additionally provided two other reference contacts for researchers in the US, however these individuals never got back to me.

I have a friend who runs a lab in China so I contacted him on the chance that he had utilized Abmart's services.  He had initiated 5 projects with Abmart and with three of the projects he obtained very good antibodies that worked on Westerns, IP, and whole mount immuno.  Upon his recommendation, I started one project with Abmart. 

Project Initiation

The initial part of the project went quite smoothly and I simply sent the sequence of the protein that I wanted to generate antibodies against and they performed an analysis for antigenic regions and sent back a report regarding the 6 peptides that would be utilized in their SEAL technology work-flow.  There seemed to be ample opportunity for me to modify their proposed plan.

Project Progress

The company gives you a log in that you can use to check on your project, however this part of their website was down or under construction for a majority of the time my project was ongoing, so that was frustrating.  It seems to be up and running now.

Dealing with Support

In general, a representative from the company will respond to my questions within 24 hours.  I feel there have been some communication issues.  For instance, there was a few times where a direct question I posed was not sufficiently addressed on the initial response, however upon posing the question again in a more direct fashion, they were answered.

Obtaining antibodies to test

My project failed on the first round for reasons that were not well outlined.  They fell behind schedule a few weeks and then sent an e-mail that stated "The project failed at  “fusion” stage and we can not get any qualified cell lines."  There was an attached report that was not very descriptive in my opinion.  I did have some trouble getting them to clarify exactly what failed, but this was eventually cleared up and the project was given a second attempt.

In the second attempt they were able to generate 6 stable clones that produced antibodies that recognized only one of the six peptides they utilized in the SEAL technology protocol.  Ascites fluid was prepared from these and they are currently in transit.  I will update again once I have tested the antibodies.

Update 8-30-12

Testing Antibodies

In the end we received dried down ascites fluid from 6 clones. They had already screened the 6 clones against the 6 peptides that
went into their "SEAL" construct. In our case, all 6 clones recognized the
same peptide and the
antibodies from the six clones seem to behave in a similar fashion, which
makes sense with their ELISA analysis of the peptides. The reported ELISA titer is 128K. We are currently testing them and
they seem to work on Western and Immuno at much more diluted concentrations than they recommend, which is good. I should mention that we already have one antibody against the same protein so we know what the expression pattern should see.  Additionally, our immuno and western tests include wild type animals, animals overexpressing the protein of interest, and animals that are null for the protein of interest.  Thus, we can fairly confidently determine what is real staining and what is background.

We have yet to order the cell line that was injected to produce the test ascites.   

End Recommendation

In the end, I think we would/will start another project with Abmart. The process was not without a few bumps in the road, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt as they are a newer company. One thing I noticed that might have caused problems is that they do not have enough employees who are proficient in English.  I say this not to be mean spirited, but rather as an explanation as to why there was some confusion from time to time when dealing with the support technicians.  It might help to have a native Chinese speaker draft an e-mail if you find your are not getting satisfactory answers to your inquiries.   

That is all for now.   

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:55:42 PM by SSpeese »

Monoclonal antibody production with Abmart
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »