Abcam Ad

Author Topic: Advice for an IHC Research Project  (Read 2039 times)

Offline AAndrew

Advice for an IHC Research Project
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
Hi all,

My research lab is looking into potentially starting an IHC research project.  As a lab, we have no IHC experience, and I personally have some, but limited knowledge of the IHC process and protocols.  We are, however, exploring some new avenues of research and think we may be able to do some interesting work in IHC.  I want to get the insights of those here with IHC experience regarding the applicability of the potential research project. So:

In my lab we develop biomedical applications for a type of microfluidic technology that involves the manipulation of small (fL-uL), discrete droplets of liquid in an automated fashion.  Our thoughts are that this technology may be useful to automate the preparation and staining protocols for performing IHC on small tissue sections (~0.5-2 mm in diameter).  An advantage of our microfluidic system would be that we could prepare and stain multiple samples, each with a different stain, antibody, marker, etc., on a single chip, in a completely automated fashion.  Think of a tissue microarray on a chip, with each piece of tissue being individually addressable for unique prep/staining protocols.  My questions to you are:

1) Would a platform like this even be useful to IHC people or pathologists?
2) Are people generally satisfied with the automated slide prep/staining platforms currently available?  Are cheaper alternatives to sample prep automation needed?
3) What are some of the most common/useful tissue array sizes (in terms of numbers of individual tissue pieces in the array)?  Would an array of 20 tissue samples be useful or are people generally more interested in 100s of samples?
4) Is it possible to extract a piece of tissue from a FFPE section that is fixed to a slide using a coring tool (such as a Harris Uni-Core punch) and transfer it to another substrate? - We think this may be the easiest way to prepare tissue arrays on our chips without having to get a custom tissue block made.

Thanks in advance for your insights and help!

-Andrew

Advice for an IHC Research Project
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »