Author Topic: diluting alcohol for processores  (Read 1348 times)

Offline NScott

• HighTech
diluting alcohol for processores
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:02 PM »
question at the bottom.

this applies to both 70% dilutions and 95% dilutions. for all intensive purposes I will be referring to making 70% alcohol from 100% absolute. I am aware of volume loss when mixing these two. measuring devices used are 1000ml flask and 500mL flask(no pipetting).

method A.) take one gallon of absolute alcohol. With a marker, make a mark to indicate the bottle at its original volume. Now poor out 200mL of absolute alcohol. proceed to fill the bottle of alcohol with distilled water until it is even with the original volume.

Method B.) take one gallon of absolute alcohol(round 3,785mL to 4,000mL). poor out 1,200mL of absolute alcohol. Poor in exactly 1,200mL of distilled water back into the alcohol bottle.

Method C.) take one gallon of absolute alcohol. poor out 1,135mL of absolute alcohol. poor in exactly 1,135mL of distilled water back into the alcohol bottle.

I just started a new job, and method A. was being used to dilute alcohol. however management was unaware of how the alcohols were being diluted. and when management was informed that method A. was being used, method B. was enforced. Q> which method will give me the most accurate results?  if method C. is the best, I would prefer to use it. thanks to all who read this and double thanks to those who respond.

diluting alcohol for processores
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:02 PM »

Offline gula

• Global Moderator
  • GoldMember
Re: diluting alcohol for processores
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
Take a bulk container of 100% and take a bulk container of distilled water.
Take a third container for eg. 10 liter, fill it with 7 liter 100% ethanol and with 3 liter water. That's about 70% ethanol and exact enough for tissue processing.
If you have to do this regularly mark the height of the 7 Liter at the container, and mark the height of the 1 Liter on the container.

Putting reagens back in the original container is no good laboratory practice.
gula

Offline NScott

• HighTech
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »

the reasoning for my breaking everything down into 1 gallon increments is because i only have 1 gallon bottles to work with. and they are the reagent bottles. no third container larg enough. this might explain why im wondering between example B and C in my first question.
     only two processors are being replenished. for the purpose of my questioning, im putting approx 1 gallon 70% alcohol from 100% in each. 
    in the meantime i will see what i can do about getting a third container.

thanks a ton Gula

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »