Author Topic: Burned Skin Tissue  (Read 710 times)

Offline MStephanie

Burned Skin Tissue
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
I have been working on processing and staining burned tissue recently.  I have had many issues during this process.   During trimming of the tissue, I trim a section to be ~3mm thick.  The program used in an auto-processor is a 12 hr program using Ethanol and Substitute Xylene.  The tissue seems to process fine; however, when it comes to sectioning the tissue on a rotary microtome the epidermal and dermal layers are very hard and cause the tissue to shred in those areas.  I do not think a longer processing time will help with this issue, but any suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated. 

Another issue that has presented itself while working with burned skin tissue is slide adhesion during the auto staining process.  I have come up with a few things that have helped, such as letting the slides sit out and dry overnight and a longer time in the oven.  However, there are still some artifacts  where the tissue is not adhered to the slide and the eosin staining is a darker pink in these areas.  Please let me know what you think.

Burned Skin Tissue
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »