ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences




Coarse powder.
Not known.
This substance is regarded as having a low toxicity and will only give temporary discomfort if inhaled or if eye contact is made. It may be harmful if ingested, particularly in large amounts, but permanent damage is unlikely. Skin contact is unlikely to cause any discomfort except for individuals who may have sensitivity to the substance.
Avoid eye contact.
Avoid inhalation of the powder.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Wear protective clothing to avoid eye contact and inhalation; a long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Skin ­ wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation develops seek medical advice.
Eyes ­ immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If discomfort persists seek medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from area of exposure to fresh air. If discomfort or irritation persist seek medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth with water and give plenty of water to drink. If ingested in large amounts seek medical attention.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere.
Wear rubber gloves, face shield and laboratory coat. Have an all purpose canister respirator available.
Spills: Sweep on to paper and place in an iron pan in a fume hood. Burn the paper and compound.
Package lots: Make up packages in paper or other flammable material. Burn in the incinerator. Or the solid may be dissolved in a flammable solvent and sprayed into a fire chamber.
No data available.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List