ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences




n­Pentyl acetate.
Colourless, flammable liquid with banana or pear-like, characteristic odour.
Flammable liquid. Keep away from all sources of ignition. There is a risk of fire or explosion when contact is made with strong oxidising agents. Heating produces toxic fumes of carbon.
This is a toxic substance and a skin, eye and respiratory tract irritant. Eye contact causes redness and pain. It defats the skin and prolonged contact can cause dermatitis and cracking. Inhalation causes sore throat, headache, dizziness and drowsiness. The vapour is also toxic and an irritant. It is a central nervous system depressant and prior ingestion of alcoholic beverages enhances the toxic effects. Ingestion causes sore throat, abdominal pain, nausea, headache, dizziness and drowsiness.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion.
Keep away from heat or naked flames.
Keep away from plastics.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Use a fume hood to minimise exposure to this substance. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Skin ­ immediately remove contaminated clothing and wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). Dermatitis will require medical attention. Wash contaminated clothing before re­use.
Eyes ­ immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Keep warm and allow to rest. If irritation persists or develops seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give water to drink. Seek immediate medical attention.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat, direct sunlight or ignition sources and incompatible substances.
Caution: Keep your stock low and date each container as received. Never transfer to glass stoppered containers or screw cap bottles which can cause dangerous friction.
Wear rubber gloves, large heavy face shield and laboratory coat. Work under a flash proof fume hood and from behind a heavy body shield.
SPILLS: Eliminate all sources of ignition. Spills may be absorbed in a large quantity of vermiculite or sand. Using a soft, plastic scoop, carefully place the mixture in a plastic container. Spread on a steel pan or in a deep pit. Ignite from a safe distance with a torch or fuse. Wash the scoop and container with 20% sodium hydroxide. Burn the original cartons and bags or dispose of by waste disposal contractor. Small quantity - a very small amount of solid or liquid may be destroyed by adding 10 volumes of 20% sodium hydroxide. after 24 hours, neutralise using litmus paper as an indicator then discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water.
No data available.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List