ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences




Benzenamine, phenylamine, aminobenzene.
Oily, clear light brown liquid which turns brown on exposure to air. Musty, fishy odour.
Is a strong reducing agent reacting violently with oxidants. Also reacts violently with acids and is corrosive to aluminium and zinc. Is explosive when mixed with ozone.
The liquid and vapour are toxic. May be absorbed by inhalation of the vapour or direct contact through the skin. Direct skin contact may cause dermatitis. Vapour contact to the eyes causes redness and pain a splash to the eye may cause permanent eye damage. Inhalation of the vapour causes shortness of breath, dizziness, bluish skin and faintness, in severe cases methaemoglobinaemia may occur followed by unconsciousness and death. Ingestion and skin contact causes symptoms similar to inhalation.
Use a fume hood.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion of the powder.
Keep away from heat or naked flames.
Keep away from alkalis.
Keep away from oxidising materials.
Keep away from combustible substances.
Keep away from metal powders.
Keep the container tightly sealed.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Use a fume hood to minimise exposure to this substance. Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact, inhalation or ingestion. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Skin ­ immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If hypersensitivity develops seek medical attention.
Eyes ­ wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. Keep warm and allow to rest. If irritation persists or signs of toxicity develop seek medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give water to drink. Induce vomiting by touching a finger to the back of the throat or by administering Ipecac syrup. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Seek immediate medical advice.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat, ignition sources, direct sunlight, acids and oxidising agents.
Wear butyl rubber gloves, laboratory coat and self contained breathing apparatus.
SPILLS: Small spills - absorb liquid on paper towels. Brush solids on to paper. Place in an iron pan and allow evaporation in a fume hood. Add crumpled paper and burn. Wash spill site with a strong soap solution. Large spills - cover with sand and soda ash mixture (90/10) or inert absorbent material. Mix and shovel into a suitable container. Dispose of by waste disposal contractor.
This is an environmental pollutant and must be contained.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List