ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences



(Also see Phenol)

None known.
General Precautions
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid ingestion of this solution.
Clear blue, strongly alkaline, liquid.
Health Hazard Data
A broad spectrum polyphenolic disinfectant and detergent (hospital grade) with approximately 18% phenol. It is bactericidal, fungicidal and tuberculocidal. This substance is a strong irritant if ingested or splashed on the skin or in the eyes. Avoid all contact with the undiluted product.
Skin: immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If hypersensitivity develops seek medical attention.
Eyes: wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion: wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give milk to drink. Induce vomiting if more than 15 minutes from a hospital. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Treat as for phenolic poisoning. Seek immediate medical advice.
None known.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere.
Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact, inhalation or ingestion. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves and safety goggles as a minimum standard.
Keep your stock low and date each container as received. Never transfer to glass stoppered containers or screw cap bottles which can cause dangerous friction. See code 15 for ether peroxides.
Rubber gloves, large heavy face shield and laboratory coat. Work under a flash proof fume hood and from behind a heavy body shield.
Eliminate all sources of ignition.
vermiculite or sand. Using a soft, plastic scoop, carefully place the mixture in a plastic container. Spread on a steel pan or in a deep pit. Ignite from a safe distance with a torch or fuse. Wash the scoop and container with 20% sodium hydroxide. Burn the original cartons and bags.
Solid peroxide: spills should be mixed with a large volume of vermiculite or sand. Cautiously transfer to a deep pit and ignite from a safe distance with a torch or fuse.
Small quantity: a very small amount of solid or liquid may be destroyed by adding 10 volumes of 20% sodium hydroxide. after 24 hours, neutralise using litmus paper as an indicator then discharge to the sewer with a large excess of water.
Absorb or mix in small portions of vermiculite or sand. Wet down with 10% sodium hydroxide. Scoop up with plastic scoops and remove to an open incinerator-pit. When dry, ignite from a safe distance with a torch or fuse.

Gibson Chemicals Ltd. (1988)
Material Safety Data Sheet.
Gibson Chemicals Ltd., 350 Reserve Road, Cheltenham, Vic., Australia.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List