ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences



CRYSTAL VIOLET Colour Index No. 42555 (C25H30N3Cl)

Gentian violet, methyl violet 10B, violet C, violet G, violet 7B, hexamethyl violet, aniline violet, crystal violet chloride, hexamethyl pararosaniline chloride, oxiuran, vermicid, methylrosaniline chloride, bismuth violet, gentiaverim, basic violet 3.
Green powder or greenish, glistening pieces with metallic lustre. Triaminotriarylmethane group of dyes.
Heating produces toxic fumes of chlorine gas and toxic oxides of nitrogen and carbon. Combustible powder ­ keep away from heat or naked flames.
This substance is a mutagen and should not be handled by staff who are pregnant. It is very toxic by inhalation or ingestion. It is an irritant. Acute exposure to the skin may cause irritation and redness. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis. Acute exposure to the eyes may cause lacrimation and irritation. Inhalation of the dust may cause irritation, coughing, headache and in severe cases sufficient amounts of the dye may be absorbed to cause dyspnoea, methaemoglobinaemia and cyanosis. Ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting, methaemoglobinaemia with cyanosis and dyspnoea, and kidney irritation. Large doses may cause cardiovascular collapse and death from respiratory failure.
Mutagen ­ should not be handled by staff who are pregnant.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion of the powder.
Keep away from heat.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Use a fume hood to keep the level of exposure to a minimum. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Skin ­ remove contaminated clothing and immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the dye has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation persists or dermatitis develops seek medical attention. Wash contaminated clothing before re­use.
Eyes ­ immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or discomfort persist seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Give oxygen if necessary. Keep warm and allow to rest. Seek immediate medical advice.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give two to four glasses of water to drink. If the victim is conscious induce vomiting by touching a finger to the back of the throat. Seek immediate medical attention.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat, and oxidising materials.
Rubber gloves, face shield and laboratory coat. Have an all purpose canister respirator available.
A gas leak - keep the concentration of the gas below the explosive mixture range by forced ventilation. Remove the tank to an open area and allow dissipation to the atmosphere. Attempt to cap the valve outlet and return the tank to the supplier.
A liquid - absorb on paper. Evaporate in an iron pan in a flame proof fume hood then burn the paper.
A solid - sweep on to paper and place in an iron pan in a fume hood. Burn the paper and compound.
A gas - pipe the gas into an incinerator or lower into a pit and allow to burn.
A liquid - atomise into an incinerator. Combustion may be improved by mixing with a more flammable solvent.
A solid - make up packages in paper or other flammable material. Burn in the incinerator. Or the solid may be dissolved in a flammable solvent and sprayed into a fire chamber.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List