ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences




NN­diethyl­p­phenylenediamine sulphate

(C2H5)2NC6H4NH2.H2SO4). Slightly tinted to buff crystalline powder.

NN­dimethyl­p­phenylenediamine (CH3)2NC6H4NH2). Reddish­violet crystals.

NN­dimethyl­p­phenylenediamine hydrochloride (CH3)2NC6H4NH2.2HC). White or grey hygroscopic crystalline powder.

NN­dimethyl­p­phenylenediamine oxalate. White or slightly tinted crystalline powder.

NN­dimethyl­p­phenylenediamine sulphate

(CH3)2NC6H4NH2.H2SO4). White or greyish blue hygroscopic crystals.

Heating produces toxic fumes. These vary according to the compound.
They are all highly toxic by inhalation or ingestion and can be absorbed through the skin causing toxicity. They are an eye and skin irritant and contact dermatitis may occur from repeated exposure.
All are highly toxic through all routes of exposure.
Use a fume hood.
Keep away from light.
Keep away from heat.
Keep the lids tightly sealed.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Use a fume hood to keep the level of exposure to a minimum. Avoid all contact with these substances. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Skin ­ immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent (base) water (salts). Use large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If clothing becomes contaminated, wash before re­use. If irritation develops seek medical attention.
Eyes ­ immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Keep warm and allow to rest. If signs of toxicity develop seek medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash the mouth with water and give water to drink. Seek immediate medical attention.
Store in a tightly sealed container in the dark, in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat.
Butyl rubber gloves, laboratory coat and self contained breathing apparatus.
On skin and clothing; wash skin with strong soap solution immediately. Rinse thoroughly. Contaminated clothing should be removed, dried and washed with strong soap solution or destroyed. It may be necessary to destroy shoes by burning.
Small spills: absorb liquid on paper towels. Brush solids on to paper. Place in an iron pan and allow evaporation in a fume hood. Add crumpled paper and burn. Wash spill site with a strong soap solution.
Large spills: cover with sand and soda ash mixture (90/10). Mix and shovel into a cardboard box. Pack with a large excess of crumpled paper. Burn in an open pit or incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber.
1 Pour or sift on to a thick layer of sand and soda ash mixture (90/10). Mix, and shovel into a heavy paper box with much paper packaging. Burn in an incinerator. The fire may be augmented with scrap wood. Stay on the upwind side.
2 Dissolve in a flammable solvent and spray into the firebox of an incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber.
This substance is toxic to micro-organisms and must not be released into the environment.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List