ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences



EOSIN Y (Colour Index No. 45380) (C20H6O5Br4Na2)

Eosin, eosin C, eosin WG, bromo acid, bromo acid J, bromo acid TS, bromo acid XL, bromo acid XX, bromofluoroescein, bronze bromo YS, acid red 87, eosine yellowish, tetrabromofluorescein S, bromoeosine, disodium eosin, eosine sodium salt, sodium eosine.
Red crystals or brownish­red powder. Xanthine group of dyes.
Heating produces highly toxic fumes of bromine.
There have been indefinite reports that this substance is an animal carcinogen. It is a skin, eye and mucous membrane irritant. Acute exposure to the skin may cause irritation, cheilitis and stomatitis. Prolonged skin contact may cause dermatitis. Acute exposure to the eyes will cause redness, localised pain and irritation. There is no data available about the effects of inhalation or ingestion in humans.
Use a fume hood.
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Keep away from heat.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
There have been indefinite reports that eosin Y may be an animal carcinogen. Until it is positively known that eosin Y is not an animal carcinogen this dye should be handled as though it is a carcinogen. Use a fume hood to keep the level of exposure to a minimum. Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
Skin ­ immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation persists or dermatitis develops seek medical attention.
Eyes ­ immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the dye has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. Keep warm and allow to rest. If irritation develops and persists seek medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give two to four glasses of water to drink. Induce vomiting by touching a finger to the back of the throat. If discomfort persists seek medical advice. Never give anything by mouth to a person that is not conscious.
Store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from heat.
Butyl rubber gloves, laboratory coat, self contained breathing apparatus and protective shoes.
On skin and clothing: wash skin with a strong soap solution immediately. Rinse well. Contaminated clothing should be removed and cleaned at once or destroyed by burning.
Small spills: absorb liquid on paper towels or vermiculite; sweep solid spills on to paper. Put on an iron pan in a fume hood and allow to evaporate. Burn the paper or vermiculite in the absence of other inflammables. Wash the site thoroughly with a strong soap solution.
Large spills: absorb or mix with vermiculite, sodium bicarbonate or sand. Package this in a paper carton and burn in an open pit. Use wood scraps and crumpled paper to augment burning. Wash the site thoroughly with a strong soap solution.
1 Pour os sift on to sodium bicarbonate or a sand, soda ash mixture (90/10). Mix and package in heavy paper cartons with plenty of paper packing to serve as fuel. Burn in an incinerator.
2 Mix with a flammable solvent and spray into a firebox of an incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber.
Destruction by chemical decomposition is recommended for dinitro, trinitro and other compounds with explosive potential. Add the material, slowly, while stirring, to 30 times its weight of a solution prepared by dissolving 1 part sodium sulphide in 6 parts water. For unstable acidic materials (eg. picric acid) dissolve in 25 times its weight in a solution from 1 part sodium hydroxide and 21 parts sodium sulphide in 200 parts water. Some hydrogen sulphide and ammonia is evolved.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List