ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences




Anilinomethane, methylphemylamine, n-methylaminobenzene, n-methylphenylamine, n-methylbenzeneamine, methylaniline-n, monomethylaniline, methylaniline.
Very toxic substance.
Keep away from eyes and skin.
Avoid inhalation and ingestion.
Keep away from heat or naked flames.
Wear protective clothing.
Keep away from strong oxidising agents.
Colourless to light yellow, oily liquid (browns on exposure to air).
Combustible substance. TLV 0.5ppm (2mg/m3). Odour threshold approximately 7mg/m3. Odour threshold is above the TLV. Very toxic substance. Eye irritant and can cause corneal damage if not removed quickly. High concentrations of vapour can also damage the eye. Readily absorbed through the skin, can be absorbed through the skin in doses sufficient to cause narcosis. Inhalation, ingestion and skin absorption produce the same symptoms. Symptoms include headache, shortness of breath, weakness, nausea, confusion, stupor, lowering of blood pressure and cyanosis. Prolonged exposure can result in convulsion, coma and death from methemoglobinaemia. Chronic exposure may cause incoordination, irritability, liver and kidney damage, bone marrow damage, weight loss, anaemia and weakness.
Skin - Immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If signs of toxicity or burning develops seek immediate medical attention. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes and decontaminate before re-use.
Eyes - Immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or burning pain persists seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation - Remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. Keep warm and allow to rest. Give artificial respiration if necessary. Seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion - Never give anything by mouth if the victim is losing consciousness, is unconscious or convulsing. Rinse the mouth thoroughly with water. Induce vomiting by giving Ipecac syrup. Seek immediate medical attention.
Avoid strong oxidising agents.
Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated atmosphere away from heat and incompatible substances. Keep tightly closed.
Wear protective clothing. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown with elasticised wrist bands, rubber gloves and safety goggles as a minimum standard. If a fume hood is not available wear a suitable respirator.
For small spills absorb on absorbant paper. Place in a fume hood and allow to evaporate then burn the paper. For large quantity disposal burn in a high temperature incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber.
No data available.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List