ABC of Safety in the Biological Sciences




sec-Nitropropane, dimethylnitromethane, isonitropropane, nitroisopropane, 2-NP
Possible carcinogen
Probable foetotoxin
Probable mutagen
Flammable substance keep away from heat
Avoid inhalation or ingestion
Wash hands thoroughly after handling
Can form explosive mixtures with air
Clear, colourless, oily liquid with a pleasant, mild odour described as fruity.
Worksafe Australia Category 2 carcinogen. Although no human data is available Nitropropane has provided positive mutagenic results with bacteria and cultured human cells. Has caused foetal death in laboratory animals at doses not toxic to the mother. Vapours are heavier than air and can travel a considerable distance along the ground to a source of ignition and flash back. Can form explosive mixtures with air.
Skin - Slight skin irritation may occur as a result of drying. Dermatitis may develop after prolonged exposure.
Eyes - Can cause local eye irritation.
Inhalation - Can cause coughing, headache, nausea, drowsiness, cyanosis, and faintness. The threshold level is 5ppm. At 20-45ppm vomiting, diarrhoea and severe headaches have been reported. Also reported in workers exposed for 6 to 16 hours to unknown concentrations were muscular incoordination, chest and abdominal pain, liver and stomach problems with death reported in 6 cases after 2 weeks. Methaemoglobinaemia has been reported. Convulsions and coma may occur at methaemoglobin levels of 70%.
Ingestion - No human ingestion data is available. Ingestion effects are likely to be similar to inhalation effects.
Skin - Immediately wash the affected area with soap or mild detergent and large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation persists or dermatitis develops seek medical advice. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes and decontaminate before re-use.
Eyes - Immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persists seek immediate medical attention.
Inhalation - Remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. Keep warm and allow to rest. If breathing is difficult give oxygen if available. If breathing has stopped begin artificial respiration. Seek immediate medical attention.
Ingestion - Never give anything by mouth if the victim is losing consciousness, is unconscious or convulsing. Rinse the mouth thoroughly with water. Do Not induce vomiting. Seek immediate medical attention.
Incompatible with strong acids and bases and oxidising materials. Corrodes mild steel in the presence of moisture.
Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated area away from direct sunlight. Store away from sources of ignition. keep away from incompatible substances.
TLV 10ppm. Always use a fume hood and wear appropriate protective clothing. Protection should include a laboratory coat or gown with elasticised wrist bands, rubber gloves and safety goggles as a minimum standard. If a fume hood is not available a respirator should be worn. Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
By controlled incineration or secure landfill.
No data available.


BACK to the top of the Glossary Contents List
BACK to the top of the Chemical Contents List